The Outlast Trials AMA

Thanks for hosting this AMA !

1) Are you interested in exploring more and more "behind the curtain" of the facility in future trials/levels to progress the story, and maybe to meet new important characters outside Prime Assets ? (for example the "cave" ending added with 1.0 makes me want to explore this kind of area and maybe try to escape it)
2) Do you think the game would benefit from a way to "infinitely level up" the character levels to keep players more engaged (for example with a "Prestige" system after level 100) ?
3) Do you think the Psychosis mechanic needs a rework ? For example I would personally enjoy it more if the last stage of Psychosis would persist, but the Skinner Man didn't always try to kill us continuously.
4) Will you make MK levels available again in the main playlist to let us choose which ones we want to play ?

Absolutely love the game btw, I think it's the best coop horror game I ever played, and the most fun I had in a PvE game in a long long time ! Congrats to all the team.

I just wanted to ask are there going to be more standard traps instead of just the blast mines, gas traps and so on.

Also will we be able to eventually choose to sleep in our beds! I love the idea of more interaction in the hub helps it feels more immersivesim.

Finally, are there going to be customising options for the Prime Assets or even regular enemies maybe beyond just limited time events for them?

Love the game and love RB!

Reactions: MindlessSpaceman
Heya!!! Not really a question, but I wanna say Outlast Trials helps a lot of people's creative spark for fanart, cosplay, writing and even creating characters of their own(reagents/expop/primes) with their own lore and even environments which I'm so thankful for. It really is a delight seeing how the game progresses, but also seeing what fans create aswell:]
I hope it's not rude to show a prime and expop of my own, a Bride prime Tilly(Matilda) Newman on the left who has a hobby of pinning men with blade onto walls like dead butterflies and a adult girl scout expop Gabby(Gabriella) Garland on the right who used to be a reagent without the ideal height(4'11) who failed rebirth and got recycled to cut termination costs while also being punished with the demotion, still tries to work her way through the horrors regardless to keep herself and potentially others safe(who I also wrote to have ties with someone she forgot about for years🫢) which the writing part is actually a mess on my end:']

I also wanna ask something too actually!
Is it possible we'll ever get files of the prime assets like a medical record with name, height, weight, date of birth, family, etc? Cause that would actually be quite interesting too!!

Attachments

• 20240823_134235.jpg
    20240823_134235.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Quickly gonna say I'm a huge fan of the franchise, and I'm amazed by the direction it's going.

In the past, you had a merch store present that sold things like stickers, vinyl soundtracks, and the physical version of The Murkoff Account. With how many things that Trials has and how they can easily be made into merch (i.e., the posters), as well as the current success of the game, will we ever see a reintroduction of the merch store, or will it just continue to be releases like the Trials vinyl set and the pistachio gin?

This may seem silly to ask, but would the team at Red Barrels allow for fan animation of the game to be posted online? Or would it be something that you would have to enforce against due to copyright?

Reactions: ShakerBird
Good afternoon!
I would like to ask about the removed currency that people have been saving for a year+, would you not plan to reward at least a little for all the lost work of the old players?

It is also interesting about the events before the release of the game, will new players receive these awards?
There is also a poster for the first program X, for old players it was obtained by difficult passage of a complicated program and it was the first coolest poster.
(And now it can be obtained in an hour of play)
There was also a rumor about a new enemy who will be chained up, will you add him?
Are there any plans to increase the maximum of decorations in the room?

The players have 20+ posters and only 4 can be hung, the situation is even worse with things on the bedside table / table.
Also, the lost dozens of mini missions that were shoved into the "weekly" ones, why?
(It was cooler for the players to go through the full location in which there were 4+ missions. The programs looked beautiful and the players learned better)
image.png

Do you have any plans for the psychosis mechanic?
Currently, it feels a bit broken as it can often (especially on psychosurgery) be used as an advantage, as it makes you invisible for enemies, and I think that getting psychosis should punish you more.

Could we by any chance get a gramophone (or perhaps add this feature to the already existing radio) which you could use to change music in the sleep room (that only you can hear)?
I´d love to hear the docks or courthouse ambience when I´m in the sleeproom. These music tracks could also be new rare collectibles found in the trials.

Will Coyle get a new trial(s)?

Have you considered adding "custom games/trials"?
Basically trials (possibly with no rewards) where you could choose whatever variator you want.

How long will you support/update The Outlast Trials?

I absolutely love Outlast Trials, it's definitely my favorite from the whole series, since I love the plethora of different characters and maps. I love seeing the little details put into everything in the game, so I'm excited to ask a couple questions about them!!
  1. what's the process like for coming up with the ideas for characters (specifically personality and backstory) and settling on them?
  2. are there any character concepts you liked, but it never made it to the game?
  3. How do you plan the map layouts and why do you decide to create them the way they are?
You guys are doing a great job at making this game and I'm always so excited to hear about new updates :)

Reactions: iAnemiai
Really love this game and hope to see it grow more, so what I was wondering is, do y’all plan to add more main villains and minor enemies to the game anytime soon if so any hints. Then last thing is will there be possibly more games added to the waiting room for before trials?

Reactions: Baptarot
We've kinda-sorta been given Coyle's age (he was 19 when serving in the Battle of Okinawa, making his birth year 1923/24), but our other prime assets' ages are a mystery.
How old are Mother Gooseberry and Franco Barbi?

Last edited:
Seeing as Outlast Trials has its own story despite being a COOP title set in the Cold War revealing Murkoff have budget problems and Easterman is dealing with his deteriorating illness, is there a conclusion we could expect for the story? Perhaps an escape from Sinyala and trying to survive in Outlast 2 locations?