Ready Or Not AMA (ANSWERS)

SpartaN

Administrator
Staff member
  • Have been play Ready or Not for few months now and I love what you guys have created here. My only concern is that performance has worsened a lot in recent updates. When can we expect performance fixes?
Stirling Rank: our team has already dedicated a large amount of time improving performance and pushing the bar where possible. However, 1.0 is not the end of development and optimization, we’re actively working on improving it every single day.

At some stage though, it may be worth looking at your hardware. Ready or Not can be pretty demanding.

• Which games or forms of media did you set as a baseline for the creation of Ready or Not?
Stirling Rank: We found inspiration through many avenues, particularly film – but also music and games. The list is extensive, but includes movies that explore the criminal underbelly like “We Own the Night” or “True Detective Season 1”, and especially the visual design and incredible tone of “Too Old To Die Young” (which funnily enough also inspired the names for some of the achievements – if you know you know).

For games, our tactical FPS predecessors were naturally a large inspiration, but since we wanted to make our game a unique entry into the genre, it didn’t stop there. We took inspiration from the dense environmental storytelling in Left 4 Dead and Bioshock as well, which was a critical solution for storytelling in a game with so many avenues of approach in level design.

• During development, did you guys have any former SWAT consultants to give you an overview of how their operations work, or is Ready or Not based entirely on available materials and movies? Just curious about how you guys approached the setting
Sean Gorman: we do indeed have a consultant to help us on this topic. We have a Police Advisor who we speak to regularly, to make sure that the language and terms we use in mission briefings, in equipment descriptions, and many other intricacies across the game are consistent with the examples also found in the real world.

• is there any cut content you wish made it into the 1.0 release of Ready or Not?

Sean Gorman: Realistically, we reached a point of what 1.0 Ready or Not content complete looked like. Some cut-content is in a sense only cut for a window in time and can be lined up post launch. Often this is decided, because internally, our team wants to make certain that the quality of upcoming content should meet our own level of expectation. If we can't achieve that, it's unfortunately something we must put down, at least for the short term, so that we can make sure that that feature gets the right amount of love and development time needed, for it to see the light of day.

• Will any kind of basic teammate shoulder squeeze/tap (a heavily requested feature among the serious CQB groups that play the game) be added? And if not, why?
Stirling Rank: Tappy is a cool mod, but it seems to largely only cater to a small subset of the community, who would likely be running other mods anyways to create a more “realistic” feeling within Ready or Not (eg. Gunfighter and Jugs AI), so it begs the question why not just install the mod? I think, as well, if we made a squeeze feature, we’d go the whole nine yards and include a nice animation, shake, and visual effects. Perhaps it’s something for a future title.

• I've always been a huge fan of environmental storytelling, as it plays the most crucial role in achieving an immersive experience, and VOID Interactive totally nails it. There's one thing in particular that I'm interested in and it's our main character, Judge. We play as him all the time, yet know so little about him. It was only in the final mission "Hide and Seek" in Port Hokan, did we get a mere glimpse of the kind of man he is with his reluctance to follow FISA's order to "CLOSE. THE. DOOR!". As the story unfolds, can we anticipate further exploration of Judge’s backstory and character development in future missions? Hearing him speak out was a very powerful moment.
Stirling Rank: I’m glad this had such a strong impact. It worked really well particularly because Judge had never said anything outside of his usual lines until then. I definitely want to explore this more, there’s more to tell about Judges backstory and his place in the chain of Los Suenos collapse.

• There has been pre-mission support in the game, is there any chance to see them back to the game? Like sniper, negotiator, or power crew?
Zack Hamilton: The briefings won’t be too different from how they were previously. On the support system, we do have some ideas that haven’t been announced before that could offer a bit of a ‘higher’ ground view 😉

• Will the non-Lethal have varying degrees of effectiveness on different AI? Like taser will be unable to taser the fat NPC or someone in drug. Or flashbang will not stun those who have some gadget.
Sean Gorman: As we move forward with development, we will continue to add new content, new features; as well making improvements to existing systems. We've certainly identified that the less lethal systems could use more fidelity. We're investigating how we might be able to make some improvements to these systems, without compromising what people do enjoy about this feature.

• Originally you said you were interested in making expansions that would take place in other parts of the world. Is this still planned or you'll continue with the smaller-scale DLCs like Home Invasion?
Stirling Rank: it’s still in our plans, but we’re exploring another idea first. We’ll announce it eventually.

• There's been a lot of talk about an official SDK coming out for mappers, we're doing alright at the moment but there are definitely gaps missing the functionality that we can add as well as how to implement certain things. Is there any information available on when an SDK might be coming?
Stirling Rank: originally, I wanted to have an SDK released this year, but we just don’t have the time right now. Ideally, this is something that will arrive next year.

• We've had great support from the devs in getting stuff implement in the mean time (Shout out to the GOAT, Zack), but sadly we've had no interaction from the Level Designers. Could we look at getting some of the LD's to come and give some crash courses on how to implement some of the undocumented features of the Levels while we wait for an SDK? (directing this at Tisa - since you've got such a large modding background).
Tisa: I see no problem with this, but we'd have to arrange a separate call with the mod community so I can take a look at what features exactly are undocumented and what's available in the current modding kit. Happy to help anyway I can.

• Another question for Sean and Tisa, what is your go-to method for conceptualizing playable spaces for interiors? Is there a favourite method to getting that first shape on paper? And what are your main concerns when designing spaces with CQB in mind?
Sean Gorman: Zooming out, every space is a piece in a larger puzzle; every space in the level should have a use and a justification for its existence, and this should help facilitate a Design need. When developing a combat space in an interior, we should first ask ourselves: what is the purpose of this space in context of the whole level?

Once you have an understanding of the goal, or the question/problem presented to us (i.e. the vision), then we can start working out; how we - as Designers - can best achieve that goal or come up with solutions.

Second to that, having an understanding of human psychology, as well as reference gathering (real world references) is integral. Reading studies on Urban Planning is particularly insightful for us at the VOID Design team for example. This is because Urban Planning is the study and craft of designing spaces for humans to inhabit, traverse and navigate in urban areas. For us in Level Design, this is particularly important when designing levels that otherwise take place in a modern-day city like Los Suenos.

Thirdly, we start prototyping as soon as possible, in Engine, in-editor. This is a quick and dirty process, where we experiment with level layouts, room layouts, cover layouts, and do this multiple times, with multiple variations; present our work to each other constantly. Once we're remotely happy with one version, we create another, then another. We do this in a group setting, all amongst the other Designers. This allows us to explore different ideas, different solutions, to be wildly creative, and testing our content whilst constantly providing one another feedback to improve the design of the level. This has been a hugely successful process for us throughout the last few levels we've developed, and we're hoping that it allows us to create better and better levels each time.

With regards to "what are your main concerns when designing spaces with CQB in mind?":

Any and every space in Ready or Not, is designed using Thresholds (including Doors, Windows, etc.), as well as Cover and Walls, to name a few components. When designing for a smaller space, we must also consider some fundamentals: spatial complexity (arrangement of space, any spatial strategies, readability etc.), as well as the availability of movement (freedom to traverse or lack of freedom to traverse a space), as well a list of potential player challenges, and interconnectivity (part of a greater whole).

Smaller close-quarter spaces can certainly be the deadliest spaces to engage in Ready or Not, but designed without the above in mind, they can also be very dull. Even working with the first three components, we can create an innumerable amount of variation, some high in complexity, or some low in challenge, or elsewise. Ask yourself when creating any kind of CQB space: What opportunities do I have at each threshold? i.e. What can I see? What can I do (action)? Where can I go? And ask, what am I trying to create? You might be trying to intentionally create a CQB nightmare for the player to solve in a particular sequence, or you might be trying to create a simple square, terminating room for Civilians to hide inside. To go to a previous answer: it all depends on what the space is doing to service the level.

• Have you ever considered implementing some mods officially? Especially ones that brings QoL fixes and visual ones like Cosmetics Fix, Police car livery fixes, etc. Some game studios have done this in the past and obtained permission from the author and RoN could benefit from this.
Stirling Rank: we haven’t explored this yet, but it doesn’t mean we won’t do so in the future. Good shout out to those mods.

• Can you give us a little insight into the previous iterations of the story and beta concepts?
    • (Examples: What was the original plot to hospital, as voice lines in the game files indicate that the hand had no intention of "saving quadamah" and have voice lines that indicate that they want to kill someone who did perceived wrongdoing.
    • When was the change to make the school level from a high school to a college campus, and on that subject how far were the plans for actual child npcs that could be saved? Voice lines in the files clearly indicate that the Agency was going to contain child NPCs that would've posed an additional complication to the mission that seems to have been cut. Though they must have been cut far in development to have said files in the game. I assume they were ultimately cut due to global marketability concerns.
    • A final example would be were there any previous ideas or iterations on the Hotel mission aka Sins of the Father? Previous concept art from Ropolio seems to indicate that the suspects were dressed very differently from the rouge secret service agents we have currently dressing in all black, masks, and having a red and black American flag patch. Were they completely different suspects with different lore or were they just a different design for the current suspects?)
Stirling Rank: Relapse was originally a “revenge” killing for the player containing Qadamah, instead of allowing him to martyr himself. Ultimately that didn’t make much sense due to the nature of the game and the different ways you could play missions to progress. In fact, many missions had to be reassessed with this in mind.

The original concept for ready or not was a 12-mission story with a team of five officers in a tight narrative. However, that eventually was replaced with what we have now, which I think lends better to the type of game, however having a stricter narrative campaign would have been interesting to explore.

• Did the level 23 megabytes per second, always have around 10 suspects initially during development or were they added only to add challenge to the level, as I feel even with the context being they're "Michaels crew" (assuming they're supposed to be his friends or some hired goons or something) it doesn't make a lot of sense that they'd all be willing to die for some weeb, streamer, loser, nerd's bitcoin farm. And with that context as well it doesn't make a lot of sense that there are just so many of them.
Stirling Rank: 23 Megabytes was supposed to be our tutorial mission back in the early vision of the game, where the player would just go to arrest Michael and never face any danger. The issue was that with the rest of our game being so frantic and combat oriented, this one level would likely never be played after its first run through. The number of goons on the level is very unrealistic, but it offers a fun challenge.

• Any community maps that each of you personally love? Interested to know
Tisa: I like Hell Comes to the Hills; it's got that nice home invasion feel to it. Small map, well connected, enjoyable gameplay.

Stirling: Florida Man and The Row are great examples of the different experiences modders can achieve that we aren’t necessarily doing ourselves. I also really like Private Airport. However, there are so many great maps! Can’t name them all.

• Might seem like an unorthodox question here but really love the game. My friends and I have been playing for a year now, and we were all pretty hardcore Rainbow Six Siege players so this game was a refreshing change of pace
    • Were there any hurdles you guys faced or challenges to make the game adjustable for casual audiences and also appeal to hardcore ones who love this kind of subgenre in tactical FPSes?
Stirling Rank: one of the biggest hurdles was actually modernizing this game while retaining the difficulty. Here’s the biggest issue: players expect to be able to aim down sight and to sprint nowadays in their FPS games. Earlier entries in the genre created difficulty by having some relatively smart AI coupled with a gunplay experience that promoted slow and steady movement. Modern games are the opposite, favouring player movement over restriction, preferring to keep AI predictable and static. So, we needed to develop a modern feeling hardcore FPS that had some sort of “old school” feel to it.

Our solution was to slow the player right down, providing some light limitations on how accurate they could be when aiming and firing. Then, make sure the AI can outmaneuver you, so the player MUST think about their positioning and item use. This took us years to get right. Years. I know there are plenty of valid qualms with Ready or Not, but I don’t know of any other games that come close to replicating that experience of a close quarters' gunfight (against AI at least) that RoN does, and it’s all down to why we made the decisions we made.

• First off, let me just say: Thanks for creating one of the best gunplay systems in the tactical shooter genre. It's been a blast.
    • I have nothing against the high-speed, modern options for plate carrier systems and head-borne stuff currently in the game; as a matter of fact, I'm glad you went that route and included things like the Crye AVS and FCPC as options for us to use, but why haven't you introduced some of the older assets used in trailers and promotional material for player-use? Things like the old heavy armor, Ops-Core XP, and MICH 2000s with comtacs are seen in promotional material but scarcely, if at all, in the game. (S.W.A.T. Officers not in D-Platoon just outside the precinct wearing aforementioned kit)

Stirling Rank: Thanks for enjoying our game and the gunplay as well. To your question, older assets were made so long ago they don’t fit our current style as well anymore. Those guys are a nice Easter egg but they’re certainly not representing uniforms we’d want to reuse now.

• Do you guys plan on adding modularity cosmetics? I.E: Magazine pouches change according to what weapon your using, or possibly even reworking second-line equipment (plate carriers/vests, belt/webbing) into actual plate/soft-armor coverage and load capacity?
  • Clipping. It. Is. Everywhere.
    (Ballistic Mandible/Mask is the most egregious example.)

Stirling Rank: some clipping we are fixing, but a lot we likely won't get to for a while. Many things listed are just limitations of our systems such as alignment in some areas, and is a side effect of years of evolving plans back in the day.

My question is for Sterling:
WHERE IS PVP!!!
Ok, sorry for shouting 😂 but the game was advertised as having PvP at full release, and there is still no sign or mention of it.
I know a lot of the player base may not want it, but they don't have to play it. A good PvP could see a lot more players picking up the game.​
Stirling Rank: I’m still reeling from the original PVP in 2020. It’ll be a while before I get behind a proper RoN-themed PVP, sorry.

However, when we release a Modding SDK, creators will be able to use the tools provided to make any sort of mod they’d like, including PVP. Perhaps with your passion you’ll be the one to do it!

Sean Gorman: We're very comfortable continuing development in the PVE space, this is what we love and enjoy, and so too our players. In the past there were attempts to bring PVP to RoN, but it’s not something that has fit together for a number of reasons. Might change in the future, but currently we have a lot of exciting plans for Ready or Not.

• The community has complained about this for years: finding the last NPCs is extremely tedious and can take longer than the actual level does. The "Search and Secure" command is often broken, with officers assigned to it getting lost or simply standing still. Many players (including me) have not even seen the trailer units at work months after they were implemented. Is there a reason why rescuing all the civilians is mandatory for soft completion when SWAT units aren't usually in charge of this duty in real life? If so, is anything being done to fix this?

Stirling Rank: DLC2 will have some improvements to this to make it feel a lot better, NPCs seeking you out at the end and whatnot. We will see how it goes from there.

• Props to Void for paying out bounties for UE5 open-source modding tools. Has this made RON easier to mod? Does the planned modding SDK include only level design tools or more access to the underlying engine and mechanics?

Stirling Rank: Thanks. The community of modders is one we will always serve with Ready or Not, and look forward to doing so far into the future. Ideally, we will include some of our tools in the modding SDK that level and game designers would have access to, which includes our data assets, blueprints, etc. whether we give out anything deeper will be answered later as it could have some pretty significant implications. Not opposed to the idea though.

• Is there a reason why the hotel and the hospital levels are so dark in some areas?

Guest Appearance Mark Ranson: Zonal lighting is a very important way to bring design and art together with the player’s experience. Firstly, with navigation and orientation in such a large map, having different lighting scenarios allows the player to create a map in their head in relationship to the space they are in. Additionally, it creates not only some visual variety within a map that is overwise very similar in context but also increases the challenge for the player in specific points.

• Are any of the Early Access map modes expected to make a return? I loved the extra game mode options (especially hospitals modified map boundary for bomb threat and active shooter). These modes added a lot of replayability, challenge and communication for appropriate loadouts in our unit and I would love to see a sliver of them return, even if only in a mod pack.

Stirling Rank: I don’t know if you will see an official return, but it may be a possibility far down the line. We now have over 20 maps for players to experience in our game so adding multiple modes per map isn’t as easy as it sounds when you need to test and ensure they all work perfectly. It’s easy when we were in early access, but as the game gets older it needs to become more polished – not less. My fear would be adding potentially 20x3 missions will blow out so many other timelines. However, for the future it’s something we will consider, certainly for other projects.

• What prompted the vast rework of Port Hokan and Cherryessa? The new maps are phenomenal, but they're so different that they could have been stand-alone maps. The OG Cherryessa nighttime map was a beast. I loved that spiral staircase approach.

Sean Gorman: We're constantly trying to find ways to improve the game, to make better content. Those two maps are two examples where we felt that there were some rather glaring weaknesses with the fundamental design of said levels. We spent some time in the year prior to release, reevaluating our work and making those improvements. We feel that the newest iteration of Farm and Port, better represents the standard of quality you can expect from VOID. But we're just as excited to make new content to share with our players, to show how we're constantly trying to raise that bar ever higher and higher with each new update.

• Any plans to bring a difficulty option into the game? I know a lot of people believe the game is too difficult, but you can't make it much easier without compromising the integrity of a realistic shooter focusing on textbook SWAT police work.
    • PS - Phenomenal work on the DLC. The visuals, soundtrack (Narcos is ridiculously good), map layout and environment are terrific. Can't wait for more. Thank you guys for this project.
Stirling Rank: We are exploring options for difficulty so players can have easier or much harder experiences. How that will manifest is currently a big topic of conversation actually. Also yes, you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s actually a very hard line to walk if you wanna have a fun or exciting game.

Zack Hamilton: Thanks for the shoutout. Blushing over here

Last edited: