[Off-Topic] How do you guys manage gaming with other hobbies

Wanted to speak here for a second aside from general gaming to talk and ask how some of you bros manage to juggle your other interests with gaming? By hobbies I mean like reading, watching shows or movies or anime or even sports if u guys do that

Let me know what you guys do to do that or if you have any tips to share on it, from a friendly med college student :)

Well, It's not easy, but it depends, if you are playing eSports or story games. When I used to play eSports games like CSGO, it was way too addicting with all the grind system, routine and life were messed up. Now I try to discipline a allocated time, and do not exceed it.

I've started timeboxing with games, so like playing 60 minutes with a timer, and playing the type of games that are not stressful or toxic - ie: avoid multiplayer games.

Well, It's not easy, but it depends, if you are playing eSports or story games. When I used to play eSports games like CSGO, it was way too addicting with all the grind system, routine and life were messed up. Now I try to discipline a allocated time, and do not exceed it.

I've started timeboxing with games, so like playing 60 minutes with a timer, and playing the type of games that are not stressful or toxic - ie: avoid multiplayer games.
I def agree with this. IF you have a job, or kids, playing eSports or MP Games is not easy, but at the same time, it depends.

If you are a competitive person, and like to be at the top, then its not for you. However, if you are someone that is just playing to enjoy, and does not care about competition, then its OK.

Before being married, i was just playing games after job/study. Now life is different, so gaming is not a priority, but I still mange an hour to get by. Though, its totally alright, if I miss few days. I am not bound.

Over the years, I have also developed other hobbies like getting into JDM cars etc.
Here is my beast!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-28 at 3.08.00 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-28 at 3.08.00 AM.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 9
Between other hobbies, such as playing/following soccer, giving friends time, and trying food, I try to balance days.

I am into JRPGs or Indie games, so well, that does not take a lot of time at least.

Let me know what you guys do to do that or if you have any tips to share on it, from a friendly med college student :)
I'm Sports + Gaming

I'd say make a routine, and figure out how much time do you need to spend on Gaming.

To Do List
Timeboxing as someone pointed in this thread
Daily Goals

It's all about discipline, with discipline, you can manage anything.

I usually reserve days for gaming. Saturday + Sunday is all-gaming, while Monday to Thursday are purely work

Reactions: Megan
Wanted to speak here for a second aside from general gaming to talk and ask how some of you bros manage to juggle your other interests with gaming? By hobbies I mean like reading, watching shows or movies or anime or even sports if u guys do that

If you ask me I think it's best to set up a strict timer for yourself, like how much you should game in a day. Me personally I started doing that and believe me I get so much done in a day it's insane

I don't even have that many other hobbies LMFAO
Nah but srsly if you wanna efficiently manage your work and comfort just set 1-3 hours aside for yourself that are purely for gaming. And since ur in med, try avoiding big-time RPGs

honestly it's not easy when especially when you're in 20s but gaming has been a part of my life since i am kid so even if its hard to make time for it; i do. there are days where i dont touch my computer and that is normal. so even if you can't take out time daily you can on weekends.

Before being married, i was just playing games after job/study. Now life is different, so gaming is not a priority, but I still mange an hour to get by. Though, its totally alright, if I miss few days. I am not bound.

Over the years, I have also developed other hobbies like getting into JDM cars etc.
Here is my beast!

Can't go wrong with a Cruiser. Nice ride buddy!

Depends but as someone who has a PS5 PC AND wants to take time out to watch new movie releases, shows and anime? it ain't easy man but what helped me was stay off from social media and mostly use it to keep in touch with my friends.

Being lazy and doomscrolling is a damn disease and I'm happy I try to not delve into that part whenever I come back from college or have free time during weekdays

Curious, what sports are you into?
Cricket, boring sport for the west, but asians would breath for it.
Being lazy and doomscrolling is a damn disease and I'm happy I try to not delve into that part whenever I come back from college or have free time during weekdays
lol, I spend more hours on TikTok, the same time I could have used for gaming. Scrolling is a bad bad habit.

I start feeling burnt out after playing for too long, and it has ruined a lot of games for me, so I just have a limit to how many hours I play every week. It has helped me catch up with some of my favourite anime.

Be productive and active, like a few others have pointed out, a healthy lifestyle where you're not spending endless hours on social media can be a lifesaver
I can easily squeeze in 3-4 hours of gametime with my buds and possibly an hour of a tv show episode or anime eps

At one point gaming becomes an unhealthy obsession, you ll eventually give time to other stuff but Id argue for some its the only form of escapism
Screenshot_20240529_145224_Discord.jpg

I don't have any particular hobbies aside from playing badminton with my neighbors and friends or going on trails but I frequently do long walks around my town, its a comforting thing that doesn't take too much time and refreshes your mind

TOUCH GRASS

jk, on a serious note though, it comes down to your schedule or what your study/work ethic is looking like for the weekdays. I tend to make time out for prolonged sessions with my homies over the weekends but for the rest of the days, its usually 2-3 hours on a game before doing something else like watching a movie on my laptop or just spending time talking to my family

• Sad
Reactions: FatalMaiden
At one point u just get tired of gaming on so many long intervals but I get where you mean about managing other stuff with it so my advice OP would be to follow a mental schedule and try to incentivize why those side hobbies or things might be important to do
That manga you still want to finish, an episode of that TV show ur trying to binge, u gotta tell yourself u gotta complete those and to stop procrastinating on them