Which sequels improved everything but left you preferring the original

Sphinx

Staff member
There are a lot of games that improve upon everything and fix the mistakes of their predecessors, yet also take away some of the charm the original had. Like the jank, the visuals, and lack the overall polish that may seem as flaws but added alot of personality and charm to the game

Has to be Mass Effect 2 for me, while I obviously love 2, I really adored the vibe that the original had, Hunting Serren across the system and recruiting your squad aboard the Normandy one by one just hit different for the first time

Persona 3 Reload, if that counts ig since its a follow up remake, it completely devoid the OGs charm, modernizing it and tainting its legacy what made it so unique for the time

being very honest, Portal 1 was better than Portal 2 imo, although the second part refined the gameplay and story but i likes the raw innovation in first and the dark humor was my favorite

X-Com 2012 is a fantastic game, but it can’t match the magic and replayability of X-Com: UFO Defense (1991) for me.

I loved Shadow of Mordor, but got bored of Shadow of War like half way through. The game is a slog and gets way too repetitive after a while. eve though the later has better mechanics on paper

I love Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3, but the first Dark Souls really stuck with me. Its lore, NPCs, and the intricately designed interconnected world were exceptional. Only Bloodborne has come close to replicating that design.

Zelda 3 for the Super Nintendo is arguably better than the second game on the NES, but I still prefer the second. I like its darker tone and more hopeless feel.

I prefer NieR Replicant over NieR: Automata. Even with the remaster, you can still see the game’s age. Automata improves pacing, gameplay, and side missions, but I love Replicant's story so much that I’m willing to push through its rough spots. I also prefer Replicant's music over Automata's. There’s a unique magic to Replicant that Automata just can’t replicate.

The Tomb Raider remake and Rise of the Tomb Raider are both great. I waver on which one I liked more because Rise is so much better, but it removed the perk for throwing dirt in enemies' eyes, which I spammed the hell out of.

Fable 2 improved on the mechanics and world of the first game in many ways, but it doesn’t quite capture the charm of the original, in my opinion. Still love it a lot, though!

Half-Life 2

I like HL1 just way more: the sounds, more weapons, better movement, Black Messa > City17

Borderlands 2 improves on everything from the first game and adds a lot of extra cool stuff. Still, I prefer Borderlands 1.

Batman: Arkham Knight is really good, but I’d actually rather play any of the other three games before it. Just my preference.