Microsoft backs up Geoff Keighley after he ignited console warrior outrage over the Gears of War: E-Day trailer

LIONT4MER

Staff member
Z8Ua4cukpeeL8w34xXZRzH-650-80.jpg (1).jpg
Over the weekend, ubiquitous gaming event producer and host Geoff Keighley tweeted about the surprise reveal of Gears of War: E-day that closed out the Xbox Games Showcase. "The great Gears of War piece was a CG from Blur Studio," Keighley said, "using in-game assets from UE5." Now, you might read that tweet and think, as I did, that it was an innocuous attempt to provide additional context for a cool trailer. That's because you and I are reasonable people. Unfortunately for Keighley—for society in general, perhaps—he'd stepped on a console war landmine.

To read more:

Gears 1 and 2 were my favorite games on the X360 growing up, sad to see this shit going down on it, anyways Im hyped for E-Day

"The trailer is developed with in-game models, textures, environments, and props that players will see in the final game."

Well I mean we're not even sure it is unless we see actual cutscene to gameplay transition here no? I still disagree for Geoff saying that about the game's cutscene or well CGI (if it is)

Doesnt come to me as a shock, Geoff has a tendency to be an A-hole to devs
Never forgetting when he rushed speeches at TGA

Yes it did say in-engine footage but by the time it'll be different from what we saw in trailer or whatever it was in the trailer might not be in the final game at all.

using in-game assets to make a trailer is very similar to CGI . Maybe an honest mistake, maybe not. But I don't see where console wars come into this.

he literally marketed the Xbox showcase calling it big days before? How is he on anyone's side here? Taking a few comments from twitter isn't a console war. Classic Journalism.