Helldivers 2 director believes "live service is a good thing" for the industry, but only if games don't "nickel and dime" for skins after charging $70

LIONT4MER

Staff member
ezgif-4-b57aaa9062.jpg
Helldivers 2's game director has said live service games need to "be kind to users" and not charge $70 up front before adding more microtransaction skins.

Helldivers 2 game director, and up until recently Arrowhead Game Studios CEO, Johan Pilestedt recently gave a talk at the 'Nordic Game' conference in Sweden, where he addressed the problems facing live service games. "Live service is a good thing for the games industry - if it's done right," Pilestedt begins in the clip just below.

I think it's pretty obvious he has a point and after the likes of the Suicide Squad KTJL, it's even more evident that these GaaS titles don't justify their huge price tag.

FULL ARTICLE:

BASED AF
Suicide Squad KTJL was a prime example of throwing your money into a bottomless cesspool of failure and microtransactions
Im glad Helldivers 2 (despite the recent ACC link controversies) is continuing to dominate the live service market

As a Destiny 2 and Warframe player, even I had to play the game to see what the hype was about and sure enough, it even caught up to my favorite YTbers too like Evan

Reactions: Muzammil
2024-05-31 17_46_27-Steam.jpg
Clocked 18+ hours now and Helldivers 2 easily deserves all the praise and affection it gets, not to mention the community is both comical and wholesome asf lmao

After the recent fiasco with the sony PlayStation account linking required, I don't really trust Arrowhead to keep in line with fans expectations but eh I ll want to be proved wrong

My opinion on live service isnt something good but Helldivers 2 made me a believer that when done right with the fans and their enjoyment in mind, a good GaaS title can be worth it.
HOWEVER, yea I ain't paying 70 bucks for it lmao

Sounds MORE OR LESS like he was targeting that suicide squad game lmao, I don't mind but its hilarious how that game flopped hard and Helldivers 2 continues to dominate despite lower player count and the controversies