Favorite JRPG titles [Discussion Thread]

SpartaN

Administrator
Staff member
Since I ve personally played a lot of Western-based RPGs like Skyrim and Baldur's Gate 2 and 3 and since there's an active community here, thought I'd ask you guys if any of you have an adoration for JRPGs and can recommend me some?

Would love to know your favorites and can be any classic or modern as long as either the gameplay is fun or even the storytelling since I ve heard these are rich in all fronts

The Shin Megami Tensei franchise
Really grueling for newcomers but I strongly recommend titles like SMT Nocturne, SMT 4 and even SMT 5 Vegeanance
Love em all and ignore the haters of Nocturne

Been playing some Valkryia Chronicles, great game, get the remastered and VC4 package tho on sale, much better bang for your buck with both games

Since I ve personally played a lot of Western-based RPGs like Skyrim and Baldur's Gate 2 and 3 and since there's an active community here, thought I'd ask you guys if any of you have an adoration for JRPGs and can recommend me some?

Would love to know your favorites and can be any classic or modern as long as either the gameplay is fun or even the storytelling since I ve heard these are rich in all fronts
Well since yo usaid you like real time games like BG3, might I suggest checking out Unicorn Overlord? The game easily has my favorite tactical combat systems in a video game, and the narrative is extremely engaging!

Not much fan of JRPGs either, my fiance loves em tho lol, she got me to try Astral Chain on her Switch, a really great action game, not a JRPG ig but still a Japanese led action game everyone should play

Octopath Traveler 2, one of the best JRPGs ever made and its on Gamepass too so you can play it very easily

Final Fantasy IX
It lives rent free in my head as the best FF game
well next to 7 and 6 at least but only because of nostalgic purposes too since it was my first ff game all the way back in 2007

19132d1e8c551-screenshotUrl.jpg

I recently started playing Tales of Arise, a solid game and I don't get the hate on it that it gets, even the mild one
Shionne and Alphens slow burn romance is cooking so far with me

FF7 Rebirth
But u ll need to play remake first, easily the best JRPGs, this year has been cooking with the genre and its releases

Rebirth, p3 reload, Granblue Fantasy Relink, we ate goood :giggle:

Yakuza Like a Dragon
Havennt played Infinite Wealth yet, waiting for a sale but this game was just sooo good, I fell in love with Ichiban Kasuga, the perfect successor to Kiryu!

Its really cheap on sale these days across all platforms, get the DLC jobs too if u can

Dragon quest 11 definitive edition, I played this 2 years back and sank 150+ hours in it, the third act is juts amazing for me plus getting 100 percent completion also feels fun

Its the prime definition of a JRPG, do not miss this one

Well from my pfp, I d obviously say Kingdom Hearts but understandable if u don't like the convoluted storytelling or the disney stuff so I ll recommend Xenoblade Chronicles

If u got a Nintendo Switch, its a must buy, a full hundred hour JRPG with an amazing and engaging combat

Well when I got tired from grinding in Genshin I used to play Fire Emblem a lot, and since u like BG3 and all that this game will be right up your alley with the strategic gameplay and management

Nier Automata
something about this game man, those endings and Yoko Taros attention to philosophical details!
Not to mention the soundtrack is the most captivating things you ll hear in recent memory

Well idk if Zelda counts, I ll just list my favorite actual JRPGs I ve played over the past few years

• Final Fantasy X
  • Final Fantasy Remake
  • 13 Sentinels (The greatest time travel story ever, please check it out)
  • Bloodborne (technically a JRPG lol)