Interview Baldur's Gate 4 Was Playable At Some Point, Says Larian CEO

Sphinx

Staff member
  • The CEO of Larian, Swen Vincke, has confirmed in a new interview that the studio started making Baldur’s Gate 4 already.
  • However, due to the devs not wanting to repeat the same development cycle, the project was scrapped.
It’s something that you all would have liked, I think. I’m sure, actually. And we actually went pretty fast, because the production machine was still warm. You could already play stuff.”

He continued, “But you played it and you looked and it, and, like, you know, this is OK. I mean, we’ll probably have to redo it 10 times. And do we really want to do this for the next three years?”

image_2024-08-03_182842467.png

Man, It would have sucked if they made it and hated doing so, but it also sucks that they never made it or made an expansion for bg3.

yea good call, BG3 is awesome and a BG4 would've been about chasing the success of 3 rather than something the team was inspired to do. Glad they're moving onto something else.

Just make something else, I’m so tired of people chasing success that already succeeded. Give us fresh new stuff. Can’t wait to see what they make next.

I just really want Larian to try their hand at sci fi. Doesn’t even need to be Star Wars or any other major IP, but I would love to see their take on a sci fi CRPG.