Interview Xbox Next-gen Will Include A Traditional Console And A Handled

Absalon

Seasoned
Staff member
More:

• Xbox head of consumer products John Friend revealed that Halo has raked in over $1.8 billion in consumer spending on merchandising and licensed products alone, excluding video games entirely.
  • Elsewhere in the piece, John Friend confirmed that Microsoft is planning some sort of 25th anniversary event for Xbox and Halo, which share a birthday.

If 2026 is the next-gen release date for both console, this has to be the driest console generation we’ve had so far.

I get it’s the 25th anniversary, but releasing an Xbox handheld in November 2026 would be a terrible move. It’s going to be hard enough to avoid being overshadowed by Nintendo, but if they launch it right alongside Pokémon Gen 10, it’ll be dead on arrival.

I’d definitely buy an Xbox handheld, assuming it isn’t shit. I’d also love it if the handheld or Xbox successor could operate as a basic gaming PC as well. The only reason I’m looking into building a proper PC is for Grand Strategy/RTS games, if their next console can offer that I’m sold day 1.