What’s the best open-world game ever? [Discussion]

For me it has to be Fallout 4 and Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, these are the only two games alongside Skyrim and even Fallout New Vegas I can spend hours and hours just exploring and playing to my heart's delight, what are your picks?

Witcher 3 ofc, no other game has managed to come close to outshining the feeling it gave me on launch and even after all these years whe nI replayed it two times across my PS5 and PC!

Aside from GTA, Watch Dogs 2 is definitely one of my favorite open-world games.

Even though some folks were let down by Watch Dogs due to the downgrade from the E3 reveal, I still loved Watch Dogs 2.
Story might be just okay, but Ubisoft nailed the gameplay.
Graphics and parkour are still impressive today, and the game is often on sale for a great price.

It's a shame how Watch Dogs Legion turned out. I really hope Ubisoft decides to make a sequel :confused:

Morrowind, for sure.
It was incredibly immersive, and no other game has made me feel so transported to another world. Unfortunately, that magic was lost with Oblivion, which felt like just another typical medieval RPG.

Younger me would say GTA San Andreas, would spend hours and hours putting the cheats in and just having fun not bothering with the story as much.

In recent years it would have to be Cyberpunk 2077

Well its Elden Ring obviously but if I'm being a little biased here, might also be Ghost of Tsushima despite the underlayers of the Ubisoft slopfest open world design, its just so calming to play and badass at the same time I ncombat, plus I loved the Legends mode with my friends!

Sleeping Dogs was a much better game than GTA 5 in every aspect.
I’m only comparing them because they were released around the same time, but unlike GTA 5, Sleeping Dogs didn’t get the recognition it deserved.

The combat, karaoke, driving, shooting, dating, environmental takedowns, story, and side activities all came together to make it a perfect 10/10 game.

I recently played the remastered edition on the PS4, and it’s even cooler now that you can equip your car with guns.

Outer Wilds offers an unparalleled experience of discovery and pure wonder. It features a quirky little spaceship that you gradually master flying as you explore. (I couldn’t finish the DLC, though—I just missed my ship too much! 😢

If we're focusing solely on the open-world aspect, *Red Dead Redemption 2* takes the crown.

Rockstar put in an incredible effort to create an immersive world, and it truly shows
Everything, from the breathtaking landscapes to the realistic behavior of NPCs, contributes to the game's remarkable sense of immersion.

The Batman Arkham games might just be my top pick. The level of detail and atmosphere is outstanding.

The art direction is a fantastic blend of Nolan's and Tim Burton's film styles. Even though the worlds aren’t huge, there’s plenty to do and uncover.

What comes to my mind is Gothic 2

Often hailed as the best open-world RPG ever by those who’ve played it, Gothic 2 had a bit of a rough start in English-speaking countries. Originally developed for non-English markets like Poland, Germany, and Russia, it didn’t see any English promotion at its launch. When it eventually made its way to the U.S., it did so with little to no fanfare—just appearing on shelves in the early 2000s, back when you had to physically buy a disc too lol

And yes, the game is in English for American players so please give it a try if you can

Cyberpunk 2077

biggest strength for me is Night City.
It's a breathing, living city that looks even more fantastic at night.
Cruising through the city at night has a very particular feel. And walking through the city during the day fells like you are really there.
And when you think you've seen everything you'll still discover something new.

It's still Skyrim for me. Other games have had better stories, better quests, better characters - but no game has presented a world so worth exploring for hours on end like Skyrim has.

Far Cry 3 is definitely my favorite. Everything about it—the environment, the story, the action—it just clicks for me. None of the other Far Cry games have managed to capture that same magic.

A lot of people will probably mention Witcher 3 or Skyrim, but they’re not really my cup of tea. I can see why Witcher 3 is praised, but the combat doesn’t do it for me, and I’m not a fan of Witcher Sense. On the plus side, Roach is pretty cool.

When it comes to simply exploring, I probably enjoy GTA V and RDR 2 the most. Both worlds are just a blast to be in.

Other favorites of mine include AC Origins, Arkham Knight, and Fallout 4—they’re great overall experiences.

When I was a kid, I was completely overwhelmed by Oblivion. I spent hours playing but barely got anything done.
I kept getting lost and was too scared of the Oblivion gates to make much progress.

I finally gave up when a gate appeared right outside my favorite inn

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is still my favorite.
The world feels massive and is a blast to explore. Sure, it can get a bit repetitive at times, but I usually prefer realism over convenience and comfort.

Fallout 4 is great as well. The world does feel a bit cramped, and I wish there was a bit more space between locations, especially since you can fast travel anywhere if you want. But every part of it is interesting, and there's so much you can do—like building your own house or setting up a comic book museum.