Interview Tetsuya Nomura Will Consider Retirement After Kingdom Hearts 4

Absalon

Seasoned
Staff member
Nomura, who turns 54 next month, spoke to YoungJump about his career and future plans.

When asked about his plans for the future of the Kingdom Hearts series, Nomura laughed and said, “I only have a few years left until I retire, I have to decide whether to retire first or finish the series first.”

He added:

“I’m making Kingdom Hearts 4 now with the intention of it being a story that I will complete.”

I feel like I’ve heard this about Kingdom Hearts before, and I’m not sure I believe it. They retroactively made the last 13 or so games part of the Dark Master Saga, and Kingdom Hearts 4 is supposed to kick off a new era. Why start a whole new phase just to end the series right after?

I’d love to see Final Fantasy characters in Kingdom Hearts that aren’t designed by Nomura. Seriously, how has Kefka never made an appearance in these games?

I can't take it seriously anymore when people say an entry is the conclusion or building up to one. If it makes enough money, someone’s going to create another. Franchises don’t end these days.

I played through KH 1 and 2 multiple times, even right before release. Watched HOURS of story explanation of the other games and the series in chronological order. I tried to be really invested before KH 3 came out... and then KH 3's story was just dog shit and made no sense and lead nowhere. I don't expect that this leads to anything and I have mentally checked out.