Official Take Two CEO Is Not Willing To Put Their Games On Subscription Services

Gwenievre

Seasoned
Staff member
With Xbox continuing to significantly push Game Pass with the inclusion of Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 into the service this October, does Zelnick expect consumer habits to change?

"I think that offering a frontline title with a premium price in a subscription service, day and date, will push consumers to that subscription service for at least a period of time," Zelnick told GamesIndustry.biz.
However, he added that this move by Microsoft doesn't change how Take-Two views the subscription opportunity. "No, it won't affect our decisions," Zelnick says. "Because our decisions are rational."

He further adds: "We have narrowed down the pipeline to focus on the titles that we think will be the most successful"

image_2024-08-10_160729139.png

I wouldn’t put a high-selling game on Game Pass immediately if I were a third party either—it’s not financially viable for them.

the sky is blue

Of course, they'll take Microsoft’s and Sony’s money once their game has completed its sales cycle, but expecting a major new third-party game to be available on those services right away doesn’t make much sense for the companies.

Strauss Zelnick can criticize every company and studio without much concern. As long as he’s got Rockstar and can pull in a billion dollars in 24 hours, he’s on top. It’s unfortunate that he also happens to be quite unlikable, haha.