Official SAG-AFTRA Unhappy About GTA 6's Strike Exemption

Absalon

Seasoned
Staff member
In a report on Aftermath, SAG-AFTRA chief contracts officer Ray Rodriguez said that the union is "obviously not happy about" the GTA 6 exemption, but affirmed that the rule about already in-development games exists, saying it was "bargained into" a legacy agreement created before the SAG and AFTRA unions merged.

"It's language that the merged union basically inherited, that I think is insane," said Rodriguez. "But it's there."

image_2024-07-28_033439832.png

Aftermath Report Link: SAG-AFTRA Striking Because Companies Won’t Offer Same AI Protections To Voice And Physical Performers, Not Happy About GTA VI Exemption - Aftermath

Reference Article Link: Actors' union 'not happy' about GTA 6 strike exemption, but confirms it's in the contract: 'Insane, but it's there'

I really hate the internet sometimes. This isn't about special treatment or anything; the strike explicitly stated that any project that started before the strike wouldn't be affected.

I am a little confused here. They included the clause to exempt games before Sept 2023 from strike but are now unhappy about this. Did they not knew GTA 6 has been in development for like a decade now??

It's incredible how many issues could be resolved if consumers simply avoided buying products made through immoral practices.