Official Report: Ubisoft Allegedly Using Bots to Promote Assassin’s Creed Shadows

SpartaN

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to offering a glimpse into the atmosphere of Feudal Japan, the recent World trailer for Assassin’s Creed Shadows has raised concerns about questionable practices by Ubisoft. At least, that’s what some viewers claim, having noticed suspicious activity in the comments section.

Shortly after the trailer’s release, viewers began to spot numerous comments with a similar tone and structure, all praising the trailer’s visuals and historical accuracy. What raised suspicion was that these comments were coming from accounts that appeared to follow an unusual and repetitive naming structure.

These accounts were all created recently, and the comments they posted appeared just a few hours apart, quickly racking up an unusually high number of likes—typically between 3,000 and 5,000. While the comments were human-written, bots seemed to have been used to boost their likes, further raising suspicion.

Source:

I haven’t played an Assassin’s Creed game since Black Flag, so I’m not a die-hard Ubisoft fan or anything. But this article seems like it’s aimed at damaging Ubisoft's reputation without any evidence.

It's interesting how people often just refer to "Ubisoft" as a whole, rather than recognizing the individual studios within the company.

For example, the team behind the new Prince of Persia game is different from the one working on Star Wars Outlaws, yet they all get grouped under the same umbrella. You don’t really see this happen as much with Microsoft and its studios. This seems to stem more from assumptions and a conspiracy-driven mindset than anything else.

I’m not really a fan of this article because there’s no solid proof, and figuring out the source of botting is nearly impossible.

The internet got really toxic over this game because of the Yasuke character, and it’s not unreasonable to think that someone might have done this as a reaction to the backlash, completely unrelated to the company