Official PS5 New Adaptive Controller Charging Feature Added in Latest Update Only Available in Slim & PS5 Pro; Gamers Unhappy About It

LIONT4MER

Staff member
Earlier today, Sony rolled out a new PS5 firmware update that introduces a host of new features to system owners such as the Welcome Hub, 3D audio profiles, and even adaptive controller charging. However, the last feature mentioned isn’t available for those who own the original PS5, as Sony has confirmed only the PS5 “slim” and PS5 Pro are the only versions of the console that will support it.

If you’re not familiar what the feature is, it’s essentially charging the controller at max power over a short period, charge it at a lower power over a longer period to reduce strain on the device’s battery. It should reduce power consumption, and make the controller’s device last longer. While this might be a small feature in the grand scheme of things, the PS5 community is not happy about this, as some are speculating this is the start of Sony adding features only accessible to the newer versions of the PS5 in order for players to buy a newer model.

Source:

Oh no! My USB port stays on even after I finish charging my controller. It might only cost a few dollars in electricity over the next decade, but it still feels like a big deal, WHATEVER SHALL I DO!

womp womp.

I’m pretty convinced it’s a hardware limitation. It doesn’t seem like there’s any real advantage for Sony to intentionally withhold it from the original PS5 if it’s actually feasible.