Interview No space for Dino Crisis when Monster Hunter exists, says Shinji Mikami

Absalon

Seasoned
Staff member
Speaking to Eurogamer at Gamescom with regards to the forthcoming Shadows of the Damned remaster, Mikami discussed the topic of a new Dino Crisis game

"I'm very surprised to hear that," said Mikami in relation to fans wanting more Dino Crisis. "The awesomeness of dinosaurs and the stuff you can do with dinosaurs, that's been kind of really nailed down by Monster Hunter in recent years.

"So even if I were to decide to make a remake or a new version of Dino Crisis, I don't really feel like there's a whole lot of space for that kind of game right now, just since Monster Hunter has become such a big game. But yeah, it is surprising."

image_2024-08-30_150050672.png

It's still an awful take because there's a world of difference between running through a lab blowing away velociraptors with a grenade launcher and hitting a Rathalos in the head for 20 minutes with a hammer, and thinking they both can't exist at the same time is absurd.

Whaaaaaaat, the whole point is that Dino Crisis is a HORROR game centered around dinosaurs. I want the horror, not the crafting and battling in MH (which I like, I just prefer survival horror as a genre).

The sad thing is, decent remakes of just the first two games would be a job well done. I don't think anyone really cares about the other DC games. It's not like RE where there are at least 8 RE games that could be remade (0-6 + CV). Of which they've already remade 3 (4?) of them.