Leak Microsoft Reportedly Spends 1$ Billion Annually To Bring Third-Party games To Gamepass

Absalon

Seasoned
Staff member
Bloomberg then mentioned that Microsoft spends a whopping $1 billion a year bringing third-party games into the Game Pass ecosystem, which has been modelled recently as a ‘Play Anywhere’ system that transcends simple home consoles.

Game Pass was also a major adjustment for publishers. To sweeten the deal, Microsoft now spends $1 billion a year getting third-party games on the subscription service.

image_2024-09-21_035739169.png

Do we know how much they spend on the other aspects of the service?marketing costs or other things in regards to maintaining the service?Just saying that "30 million × 15 equals this" is like how a 12 year old thinks a business is run. Like what are the other costs of the entire operation. I can't imagine this service is cheap to operate

This is why Xbox consoles will always have a place. I’d guess a good chunk of Game Pass subscribers are using it on an Xbox One, Series S, or Series X.

Game Pass is a huge part of their strategy, so it makes sense they want it available on as many platforms as possible, but I’d bet Xbox consoles are still essential to the plan.