Game Help Lion's Claw or Savage Lion's Claw? Which is better

MrX

Paragon
I have seen people body radhan with Lion's Claw. Is it good enough or should I go for the savage one. Which one is better in Elden Ring?

Savage Lion's Claw always felt pretty impractical to me since the second hit often leaves you wide open to a counterattack. The only time I found it useful was for applying frostbite faster when using cold infusions.

If your main focus is trading blows with a boss and breaking their poise as quickly as possible, then sticking with the regular Lion's Claw still seems like the better option.

One benefit of Savage Lion’s Claw is that it has better tracking, which is helpful against bosses that tend to move around a lot. I used it on the Giant Crusher and found it pretty effective against Mesmer and Gaius, since neither of them really stays in one place for long.

Realistically, Lion’s Claw is the better choice. While Savage Lion’s Claw can deal more poise damage and higher overall damage if you land the entire combo, the time it takes to execute it fully isn’t practical in most tough fights. Even if the enemy staggers after the first two hits, Lion’s Claw knocks them down immediately on impact, whereas Savage only does that on the third hit. The instant stopping power of Lion’s Claw makes it more effective.

There are some key differences between the two. Savage Lion’s Claw (SLC) covers more distance and allows for two additional hits if you follow up with another input. However, there are some downsides. The first is that SLC can’t knock down enemies like the regular Lion’s Claw (LC) can. This makes SLC less effective against enemies or bosses like Rennala and Malenia. Another drawback is that SLC doesn’t offer much poise break. While it’s true that the full SLC combo with the additional input does have more poise break than the standard LC, the time it takes to complete the full SLC combo is so long that you could just use LC twice, which would give you better results. For example, if you try the first DLC grace and fight the first Misbegotten you encounter, you’ll notice that LC will break their poise in three hits, while SLC won’t be able to stance break them at all.

So, which one suits you best? It really depends on what you value. If poise breaking is important to you, the original LC is probably your best bet. But if you prefer the extra range and safety SLC offers, you might lean towards that. It’s worth experimenting with both to see which fits your playstyle.