Hidetaka Miyazaki's Interview On Making Games via The Guardian

Sphinx

Staff member
"If we really wanted the whole world to play the game, we could just crank the difficulty down more and more. But that wasn’t the right approach,” says Miyazaki. “Had we taken that approach, I don’t think the game would have done what it did, because the sense of achievement that players gain from overcoming these hurdles is such a fundamental part of the experience. Turning down difficulty would strip the game of that joy – which, in my eyes, would break the game itself.”

image_2024-06-22_164218442.png

"A lot of FromSoftware games throw players into this barren wasteland, and it’s a very severe, harsh, cold experience … I don’t think what we’ve been doing in our games has changed, but perhaps the world has come closer to that type of feeling,” agrees Miyazaki. “These past few years have been a huge exception to the rule in terms of what’s happening around us. But even before that, I have always felt that the world was quite a harsh place. I’ve always lived my life with that worldview, those values. So this idea of being thrust into a wasteland and planting the seeds of growth is something that, for me, feels almost universal. Perhaps more people are discovering that right now.”

Full Report:

It takes alot of guts to say what he said, especially publically. Making games that not for everyone is wild statement but the again "A game for everyone is a game for no one" - Helldivers 2.

The secret to success is propably making something that someone will enjoy not everyone.

But even before that, I have always felt that the world was quite a harsh place. I’ve always lived my life with that worldview, those values. So this idea of being thrust into a wasteland and planting the seeds of growth is something that, for me, feels almost universal.

He truly is a visonary

The interview is great but they really need to work on their formatting. Its so hard to follow huge heaps of paragraph looking for quotes that blend directly with the questions