Games to play when you're depressed [Discussion]

FrancisDrake

Seasoned
Lately these days have been a downer for me, losing motivation to play games while life keeps distracting me and burdening me with worries and troubles, I hope everyone is fighting their inner battles diligently
Anyways tho, any game recommendations to help cope me with? Im open to playing anything as long as its not a competitive MOBA game or shooter lool

Sorry to hear what you're going through, I hope times get better for you moving forward
Anyways I play Borderlands 2 or 3 depending on what I miss more, 3 has the best gameplay but 2 has the better writing

I suggest checking out how to remove the main story audio from 3 because its THAT bad lol
Hope it helps you out! The Borderland games are crazy fun to get your mind off of something

I'm feeling pretty down after my mom's passing, and for some reason, the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne are the only games I can really connect with. The dark and lonely themes in these games seem to resonate with me, almost like the Soulsborne universe understands what I'm going through.

What really got me through my several periods of depression was Kingdom Hearts and Persona series, might not be a cup of tea for everyone else especially Kingdom Hearts but man they brought such a smile on my face that I forget about the harsh world that I know
It fulfills the purpose of what video games are, an escapism from reality

I couldn't get into Yakuza 0 when I first tried it a few years ago, but when I gave it another shot last March, it quickly became one of my favorite games and series.
The whole series really resonates with me, especially when I'm feeling down, because the characters are amazing, and Kiryu is such an incredible protagonist.

I’d also recommend the Hitman reboot trilogy. It's super open-ended and creative, offering a lot of freedom to approach situations in different ways.

Persona 5 Royal helped me through a very rough patch recently, I can totally recommend it; the progression you see is amazing

Death stranding worked for me. Very peaceful for the most part. Hope it helps you too
The whole story is about a guy who is separated from people learning to trust and connect with them again. It's definitely a weird game, but each delivery completed or BT defeated feels like an achievement plus connecting people around the world and taking care of your BB made me cry at times

Valheim has become a new obsession for my friends and me. I can’t exactly pinpoint what makes it so captivating, but 200 hours in, and I’m still as hooked as I was during the first hour.

It offers the perfect balance of chaos and fun—you can charge up a mountain for an epic boss fight or simply farm carrots and turnips while watching the sunset. It's about as close to a perfect co-op PvE game as I’ve ever experienced

I'm feeling pretty down after my mom's passing, and for some reason, the Dark Souls series and Bloodborne are the only games I can really connect with. The dark and lonely themes in these games seem to resonate with me, almost like the Soulsborne universe understands what I'm going through.
Really sorry for your loss man
Im glad you're enjoying the Souls Borne games too, if you love the somber you find in them and if you still haven't played it so far also try Elden Ring but Im assuming you already have, stay blessed :)

I know I doesn't get easier, but I hope you are doing better man

My best feel good game is Breath of the Wild.
The over-world is so breathtaking and you can sink so much time is just running around and exploring the diverse landscapes and find something interesting everywhere you look.

I definitely recommend trying Subnautica
I've noticed that the impact of a game can vary quite a bit depending on my mood. When I’m sinking deeper into depression, I often turn to games that are more repetitive and don’t really bring me joy but help pass the time.

On the other hand, playing something more engaging or with lots of variety can actually help improve my mood.

You might want to check out Cozy Grove—I've been hooked on it all week.

It’s a lot like Animal Crossing but with a twist: instead of dealing with a pushy raccoon and relentless capitalism, you’re a scout stuck on a ghostly island.
The game has you doing everything from gathering and fishing to crafting and decorating, but the charming story and well-developed characters make it feel more engaging.

Plus, you only need to play for about 20-30 minutes a day to keep the story moving.
Sorry for ur loss!!

My Time at Portia is kind of like Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley, but I find it even more relaxing

There’s a bit of farming, but the focus is on crafting. Unlike Stardew Valley, where missing a day can mean waiting ages to make up for it, you can take things at your own pace with no penalties.

You can mine, fish, engage in simple combat, upgrade your tools, and build new ones to complete various commissions. You can also explore the town, meet people, and cook. It’s one of my favorite go-to chill games, though it does get pretty wild sometimes!

I really recommend Raft. It’s a fun, not-too-complicated game where you can explore, uncover the story through notes left by others, and build to your heart’s content.

It helped me a lot during a rough patch with depression and anxiety.

I totally get where you're coming from. I also deal with GAD and Bipolar Disorder, so I understand how hard it can be to find engaging games when you're feeling anxious or down.

When I'm anxious, it's tough for me to focus or enjoy anything, including games. On those days, I stick to easy-going games that don't require too much skill or quick thinking. Lately, I've enjoyed adventure games like Oxenfree and What Remains of Edith Finch.

For strategy games, I recommend Civilization VI and the Age of Empires trilogy. You’ll need to think strategically, but you can always set the difficulty to easy and just focus on conquering the map. I find that pretty relaxing.

When I’m feeling down, I need a way to blow off some steam. Lately, I’ve been diving into Doom Eternal, and it’s my top recommendation for that.

There’s nothing like taking on demons with a killer soundtrack and a solid story. If you’re looking for something similar, the Halo and Gears of War series are great too. You can always dial down the difficulty on these games and just enjoy blasting everything that comes your way.

You should play Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and the A Plague Tale games. Both series have great story and puzzles. Also, try talking to your friends and family if you're depressed; it really helps. Take care of yourself.

I highly recommend games that offer small, manageable chunks of gameplay.

That way, you can easily pause the game and still feel accomplished, making moving on to other activities easier.
Spiritfarer is great for this. Another good option is Reigns: Her Majesty, which is perfect for short, satisfying sessions like I just said

I can only recommend games that have helped me feel at peace, so I’d suggest checking out farming games.

Specifically, I’d recommend the older Harvest Moon titles (definitely not the new ones). A Wonderful Life and Another Wonderful Life are particularly great.

Also, don’t miss out on Story of Seasons and Stardew Valley!

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is an excellent choice too, blending farming with combat and offering a lot of personal growth.
If that sounds interesting, you might also like Rune Factory, although the very first one is quite challenging
! My personal favorite in the series is the third one.