Discussion Baldur's Gate 3 Dev Suggests All Games Should Cost More at Base Level, Says GTA 6 Could Raise Prices

Megan

Seasoned
Staff member
We are in an era of video games where the standard price for major releases has been set at $70. This price point is already reflected in big games that are coming out on current platforms like the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Even Nintendo joined this trend with The Legend of Zelda: Tears of The Kingdom, which also launched at this price. However, some believe a new pricing standard could be established next year with the release of Grand Theft Auto 6.

Michael Douse, a developer behind Baldur’s Gate 3, recently expressed his thoughts on this topic. Speaking on X, he criticized what he called the “artificial pricing structures” of games today.

He said:

I don’t love the artificiality of pricing structures post retail. Use the inflated base price to upsell a subscription, and use vague content promises to inflate ultimate editions to make the base price look better. It all seems a bit dangerous & disconnected from the community.
I think a game should be priced accordingly with its quality, breadth & depth. I’m not against higher prices, but this arbitrary uniformity just doesn’t make sense to me. It feels so unserious.
Almost all games should cost more at a base level because the cost of making them (inflation, for one) is outpacing pricing trends. But I don’t think we’ll get there with DLC promises so much as quality & communication. Everyone’s just waiting for GTA6 to do it lol.
Douse suggested that, due to rising development costs, many games should have higher base prices. He pointed to GTA 6 as a potential trendsetter, noting that if Rockstar Games decides to price its next blockbuster above $70 and it sells well, other companies might follow this trend.

News:

Hey look I respect that video games are getting pricey to make but long I AM NOT paying more than 70 bucks for GTA 6 just because of how coveted it is or whatever its status is in being hyped throughout the industry

It is not the second coming of Christ that I need tospend 100 bucks on

Reactions: HunterofHuntss
Dear God and here I was getting adjusted to the 70 price tag being the new norm, if Rockstar does that gaming is doomed buddy
Games are already pricey asf in my country due to the inflation cmon man

Everyone’s just waiting for GTA6 to do it lol.

And he's not wrong, Rockstar may as well do that if they wanna earn back what cost them to make this game, either that or they make another GTA online in 6 which is BOUND TO HAPPEN LOL

Another standard pricing? dude srsly wth? Im not paying more than 70 bucks now for my video games, that's absurd, F OFF