Answers of Remnant 2 AMA (Part III)

Sphinx

Staff member

Read this for Part I & II

I've begun noticing that Remnant 2 has transitioned to becoming more colorful with each new expansion. I wanna say that I really love this trend and wanna know your insight to some of the more recent levels, especially some areas like Glittering Grotto.
Randall Villegas, Principal Environment Artist at Gunfire Games: The color palette in Remnant had a more restricted color palette for its direction which added a cohesion to the worlds of the game, and I think it gives it its own memorable spirit that I appreciate as foundational for how we’ve moved forward. For Remnant 2, the Environment team wanted to iterate on and find ways to get more of that pop and awe for players be it through color and lighting or other forms of gameplay. Exploring further into the DLC directly like with the Glittering Grotto- we wanted a strong visual transformation with the Yaesha world people knew with distinct colors and foliage to elevate the space and create a unique experience. This is a space we want to continue to explore in both directions- both with exploring tight color clusters and more expansive color palettes depending on how they fulfill the mood and themes of the worlds we make.

How important is mechanic-synchronization in y'all's design philosophy? I like how the new guns and weapons perfectly compliment the ones already in the game, so do you guys often check if the new stuff isn't making the old obsolete?
Steve Bednarz, Senior Designer at Gunfire Games: Our goal on the Progression Team is that, ideally, no weapon is ever made obsolete. Not entirely at least. The starting Repeater and Lever Action can take the player from start to finish if so desired. Instead, the philosophy is more about creating bespoke weapons which compliments a variety of strengths and weaknesses. Take myself for example, I am not a crack shot. I’m not winning any 360 no-scope challenges any time soon. In other words, I like weapons with big reticles. So, I tend to gravitate toward shotguns as well as mods and skills that favor area of effect (or AOE). That’s my playstyle. Long story short, we try to make a variety of weaponry options that support many different styles of play – from support and healing, to precision and AOE – and then tune the numbers to make it all viable and as balanced as possible so all options can contend as any player-type’s new potential favorite loadout.

Will the next archetype be a little easier to unlock than the Invoker? Also, whose idea was it to make the Invoker so tough to unlock?
Steve Bednarz, Senior Designer at Gunfire Games: Just shook the Oracle’s All-Seeing Eye. The outcome was a Good Omen.

Hello, i wanted to ask if you had any plans on releasing a complete Physical Edition Remnant 2 with all DLC? and do you have any plans on adding a toggle setting to remove backpack like the helmet? I love the armor sets, but the backpack sticks out so it would be really nice if there was a toggle setting.
Cindy To, Principal Level Designer at Gunfire Games: Not sure about any new editions, that’ll be up to some folks higher up =P But, we always have a running queue of QoL to-do's especially from community feedback. It just comes down to the time/resources we can allocate to that, we definitely hear you! Crossing our fingers as we continue to support the game post DLC launch.